|"The Cabbage" from Wicked|
I did not buy the tutu fabric. It was cost prohibitive for me as this skirt requires much more fabric than a tutu. I'm going with tulle and nylon net that I bought at JoAnn and Hancock Fabric. I hope it works out. I tested various spray starches, homemade starch, and fabric stiffener to see if I could make the fabric stiffer. Nothing worked well enough for the trouble in the initial phases as a flat piece of fabric. I have read in the blogs about using spray starch on constructed tutus, so maybe it works better after the garment is made. Gathering and pressing the layers seem to improve the stiffness. I used seven different fabrics in four colors of green: 3 colors of tulle and 4 colors of net.
|A stack of layer pieces|
|Base skirt with 1-inch guide lines|
To calculate the length of material needed for each layer, I measured set lengths of fabric before and after gathering. Once I picked the tightest gather I could get on the ruffler foot, I used that ratio to calculate how long each layer should be. For instance, if a 60-inch strip of fabric was reduced to 8.5 inches after gathering, I would use a ratio of 7. I then measured the actual cirmcumference of the base skirt along the drawn reference lines. Each frill layer would need to be the circumference measurement multiplied by the gathering ratio. So if my skirt circumference was 45 inches, the frill would need to be 315 inches.
|Frill layer going through the ruffler foot|
|Pile of frill layers prior to gathering|
|Satin ribbon sewn with fishing line inside|
|Ribbon trimmed tulle (pressed on the right and unpressed on the left)|
|Bias tape pinned to net for hoop casing|
|Pressing the frills, which are pinned down to the ironing board|
|Pile of pressed frill layers ready to sew to base skirt|